It’s beginning to feel a lot like Commencement

Filed under : Student Life
On May 2, 2011
At 8:30 pm

So, about the big news yesterday….

Of course I mean the monumental, earth-shattering, game-changing event that deserved dancing in the streets and worldwide approbation:

I HANDED IN MY THESIS!!!!

I’ll let that sink in for a moment. That thing hanging over my head for the last two years? Done. Finito.*

*There will be comments and I will need to do some rewrites. But still.

But this is why I’ve been away, because all my writing powers (such as there are) were dedicated to this task. In the meantime, my computer forgot the password to this site; good thing I didn’t.

I do have some more requirements, including a couple of papers, but today, for the first time, I really started to believe I’d be graduating. I even went over to the university bookstore to buy my “academic regalia.” That’s a euphemism for “gown so thin we no longer rent them because this way you can hold onto it for your next medical procedure.” But I am beyond excited to have my cap and gown and I didn’t even feel cynical when the Barnes & Noble employee said “Thank you and congratulations!” as I paid.

This is it. Now it can be told: I am between 5’3″ and 5’5″. And a Master. Or I will be a Master, once I don this thing and they hand me my diploma.

By the way, the first line of this post was originally supposed to be the title but then I imagined bots taking it away to Twitter and Facebook and people who wanted to talk about other, more death-involving events popping over here eagerly. And I hate to disappoint people. Not to mention, if you know me from any other site on the Internet, you’ve probably already discussed that with me and we’ve both had enough.

Besides, there are much more important things to talk about. Such as, if you were, hypothetically, a 5’4.5″ Master, and you were really a flats person, would you wear heels to your graduation?

CeCe Peniston – Finally

Elena says

Congrats, Becca! I knew you could do it! That’s some fancee schmancy gown. Looks sorta ecclesiastical with the cross-topped crowns. Will you have a commencement that goes on forever in 98 degree heat, or a separate one for your degree?

Thanks, Elena! And for your holiday wishes which I never quite got back here to thank you for.

The crown is Columbia’s symbol, I think because they used to be King’s College. It is an indoor ceremony, in a church, no less, so we’ll be out of the heat if it ever starts here (it was 60 and cloudy today). Columbia has a big outdoor ceremony but I will just be going to my college’s “convocation.” Unless I change my mind and so both. Might as well get some extra use out of this thing!

Lisa aka Nutz says

Becca – sincere congratulations! Be proud – you’ve earned it.

XO

(wear the heels)

JennyPA says

Congratulations! You’ve been (and continue to be) an inspiration to me and I’m so happy for you!

I wouldn’t wear the heels, but it’s mainly because I rarely do and I’d be likely to fall over in front of the provost while walking across the stage.

Pam says

Woo hoo!

I knew you could do it!

Do you have any extra commencement tickets?

JK!

~stinkeye at Pam~

Thank you all so much! And I’m so glad you joined me, Jenny.

Split vote on the heels, I see. Maybe I’ll try it on and see where it falls.

Elena says

I missed the heels question. Being a 5′ 1-3/4″ flats person, I would wear flats or end up taking a dive across the stage or down the steps in heels.

tami says

I’m so proud of my little padwan! (now, you still know what that means don’t you?) You have worked harder than anyone I have seen to get what you really want! Best wishes for your future job hunt.

Thanks so much for the commencement ticket. I’ll still haven’t spilled the beans to Pam. Shhhhh!

sarpon says

Master Becca. Kind of has a ring to it.

It seems like yesterday you were applying to grad school, and now here you are, gradding.

Elena, if I do the heels, I do have a pair that I walk easily in but I want to be comfy! I hear there may be a lot of speeches.

Tami, I forgot, but I Googled and found Wookieepedia, And thank you for the good wishes; I need them!

Couldn’t have gotten in without you, Sarp. Then I kept waiting for you to write my papers. D’oh!