I’ve been trapped in final projects hell (as an aside, people always ask me how my “finals” are going – does anyone take final exams in graduate school?) but am at last chilling. A final note from the final week: if your professor serves alcohol at your last class and you are expected to give a presentation on your project, the major portion of your grade, it’s best not to partake until said presentation is over. I’m really not sure WHAT I said.
And now for the updates.
1. No contact from The White Whale. I fear it is not her, because we never had a falling out or anything. Why would she ignore my note? It was through LinkedIn which I dislike and only joined to contact her. I’ll give it a week and then I’m deleting my empty profile.
This really puts a damper on the post I was going to write about how I found her.
2. I am excited that danah boyd, one of my favorite social media scholars, has agreed with me about Facebook being a utility. She goes the next logical step, though, and posits that it should be regulated.
3. Speaking of privacy, my census form came late and so got sent in late and thus I’m now being hounded by door-to-door census people. I know, why don’t I just open my door and give them the info I put on my form? I don’t know why but it gives me the heebie-jeebs. So until they learn to take no for an answer, they will get the continual, “well then you’ll have to come back some other time, because I’m not opening my door. I already sent the form in!” There are two out in my hallway strategizing what to do about me right now.
It doesn’t help that someone I know and can’t stand is the “Crew Leader” for my zone. Suck on my closed door!
4. I’m again proctoring at Large Jewish University. It’s like a sitcom where wacky hijinks ensue as Becca tries to wrest control from 45 wisecracking 20-year-old guys! Fun.
5. I finally caught up on Lost. I think I am the only person in the universe who is happy to see this thing end, mostly because I lost any semblance of understanding what was going on about three seasons ago. But I kept hoping. A TV show should not require a commentary worthy of the Talmud to be understood, sorry.
6. This week contains the festival of Shavuot, whereby we eat a lot of dairy and commemorate the giving of the Ten Commandments. I plan to celebrate it by not bearing false witness against anyone. Or killing them.
Coincidentally, I’m close to my 613th post and this is a special Torah number. Find out why on my 613th post! For those keeping track, which would be just WordPress, this is #612. So with my current schedule, #613 should be sometime this year.
Well, I think the census people are gone. I may actually venture outside, says the white, female, single person occupancy apartment-dweller.
Title comes from a Paul McCartney song which is, bizarrely, not available on Amazon. I guess you can just listen to Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey instead.